Bread roll is one of the most common snacks we had as a kid. It is great with a cup of tea or coffee. Usually it is stuffed with potato based stuffing but you can add any vegetable or nuts for kids. Kids love this easy to eat snack in their lunchbox too. So try this yummy snack anytime of the day.
Ingredients: For Bread Rolls [8 rolls]
White or brown bread -8 slices
Potatoes – 3 medium
Onion- ½ chopped
Green chilies – 2 [finely chopped]
Cilantro – 2 tbsp [finely chopped]
Vegetable oil- 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cooking oil for deep frying
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Amchur(Dried mango powder) -1.5 tsp
Garam masala -1 tsp
Roasted Cumin seeds – 1 tsp (powdered)
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
To make stuffing:
- Boil and peel potatoes. Mash them coarsely and keep aside.
- In a bowl, combine boiled potatoes and all dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add chopped onions and green chilies to it. Fry it, till onions become translucent.
- Add the potato mixture in the pan and mix well for couple of minutes. The stuffing is ready.
- Take 1 cup of water in a shallow bowl and keep aside.
- Cut the brown edges of all the bread slices. Now take one slice of bread on your palm and sprinkle some water from the bowl kept aside. Make both the sides wet but not soggy. Press it gently to remove excess water.
- Now put 1 tbsp of stuffing on the wet bread. And very gently roll the sides of the bread to cover the stuffing. The stuffing should be completely covered. And try to make the seam even.
- Once the bread roll is even on all the sides, place it on a dry plate. Repeat the process with rest of the bread slices.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the rolls. Oil should be medium-hot.
- Carefully fry the bread rolls in the oil. Keep turning after couple minutes, till done. They should be brown and crispy. Drain the bread rolls on the kitchen towel.