Punjabi Kadhi Pakora
Punjabi kadhi pakora is yogurt based curry. It is a specialty of northern Indian province "Punjab". It has fried dumplings (pakoras) made up of gram flour. Punjabi kadhi pakora is a great combination with fragrant basmati rice.
- Besan (gram flour) – 1 cup
- Onions - 1/2 cup chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 1 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 pinch
- water (to make a smooth batter)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Besan (gram flour) - 3/4 cup
- Yogurt – 2 cups (sour is better)
- Onion – 1 sliced
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 tsp minced
- Green chilies – 2 finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 8
- Cumin seeds (jira) - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – 1 tsp
- Asafetida powder – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp for garnish
- Fresh cilantro – 1 tbsp finely chopped for garnish
To make Pakora:
- In a bowl take besan; add onions and all the other ingredients.
- Add water to make smooth batter. Mix well.
- In a pan, heat oil for frying at medium high heat.
- Take batter, one spoon at a time, putting it in hot oil to make pakoras.
- Turn them over once. Deep fry till it becomes golden and crispy.
- Drain them on kitchen towel. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, add yogurt and besan. Mix well. Now add 4 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder. Blend well. It should have any lumps
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin, mustard, fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- When it crackles, add asafetida powder and sliced onions. Sauté till it becomes translucent. Now add ginger, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add yogurt and besan mix to the pan. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Stir it once.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in between a few times.
- Add already prepared pakoras to kadhi. Mix once gently.
- Kadhi pakora is ready to be served.
Garnish kadhi pakora with freshly chopped cilantro and garam masala powder. Enjoy with fragrant basmati rice.