Sabudana kheer is a very simple and flavorful dessert. It is mostly prepared for fasting menu, but is can be enjoyed anytime of the year.
For Approx. 6 servings
- Sabudana (Sago pearls or tapioca pearls) – 1/2 cup
- Milk (whole) – 4 cups
- Sugar or sugar substitute – 1/2 cup
- Saffron (kesar or zafran) – 12 strands
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1/4 tsp
- Almonds – 12 sliced
- Soak sabudana with just enough water to cover it. Soak it for 4-6 hours or overnight. Now sabudana becomes light and fluffy.
- In heavy bottom pan, add milk. Bring it to boil once and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add saffron strands and stir occasionally.
- Add soaked sabudana to the milk and stir gently. Let it cook for further 6-8 minutes till sabudana becomes translucent.
- Now add half of the sliced almonds and sugar to it. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Kheer is ready to be served.
- Sabudana kheer becomes thick when cools.
Garnish sabudana kheer with remaining sliced almonds and few strands of saffron. Enjoy this wonderful dessert chilled or warm.