For Khandvi batter:
Besan (Gram flour) – 1 cup
Yogurt – 1 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Green chili paste – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Asafetida powder (Hing) – 1 pinch
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Salt as per taste
Mustard seeds (rai) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5
Green chilies – 2 chopped
Fresh cilantro – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Fresh grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
- In a large bowl, add sieved besan, ginger paste, green chili paste, turmeric powder, asafetida powder and salt. Now add yogurt and water to it. Mix thoroughly. There must be no lumps and batter should be smooth.
- In a thick bottom pan, cook this batter, stirring continuously. It starts to thicken. Keep stirring for approx. 5 minutes or till done.
- Now keep the back of two steel thalis or any other large smooth area ready.
- Take some batter on the back of each of these thalis and quickly spread them in very thin layer.
- Let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Then slice them with knife into 2 inch long stripes.
- Roll each stripe gently and arrange these rolls neatly in a serving dish.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When mustard starts splattering, add curry leaves and chopped green chilies. Sauté for a minute and pour it evenly on the rolled Khandvi.
Garnish Khandvi with fresh grated coconut and fresh chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.