Sweet Tamarind Chutney
Tamarind or Imli chutney is a must condiment for any chaat snack. It can be prepared in advance and can be stored for days.
- Tamarind (Imli) – 2 cups without seeds
- Jaggery (Gur) – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Pitted dates (Pind khajoor) – 1 cup [OPTIONAL]
- Roasted cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Rock salt - 2 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- In a heavy bottom pan, add tamarind, dates and water.
- Boil it first and let it simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes. Check, all the dates and tamarind become pulp. Cool it a bit and sieve the pulp through a thin strainer.
- Put the pulp back in the pan; add jaggery, sugar and all the spices. Cook on medium low heat till the sauce starts to thicken.
- Dip a spoon in the sauce, if it coats the spoon evenly and is not too runny, tamarind chutney is ready.
- It can be stored in an air tight container, in the refrigerator for a month.