This is a very healthy and nutritious recipe for the breakfast or for lunch. Broken wheat or Dalia has high ratio of calcium, vitamins, iron and other essential nutrients which are critical to the growth and health of the body. Broken wheat is a great source of daily fiber. It becomes even healthier, when we add all the vegetables we have. It makes it more flavorful and yummy.
For Vegetable Dalia [2 servings]
Dalia (Cracked wheat) – 1 cup
Sweet onion – ½ cup (sliced)
Green peas - ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
Green beans – ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
Tomato – ¼ cup diced
Carrots – ¼ cup diced
Cauliflower -1/2 cup (cut into small florets)
Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Green chili – 1 tsp minced [OPTIONAL]
Ghee [Clarified butter] -1/2 tbsp
Cooking oil – 1tbsp
Salt to taste
- In a pan, dry roast Dalia with ½ tbsp of Ghee or butter till it becomes golden. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil. Add sliced onions to it. Sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Now add peas, beans, cauliflower, tomatoes and carrots to it. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add all the dry spices to it. Mix well. Add roasted Dalia to the vegetables in the pressure cooker.
- Add 2.5 cups of water to it. Pressure cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Vegetable Dalia is ready to serve.
Serve hot Dalia with fresh yogurt and masaledaar achaar [spicy pickle].