I’m a big fan of South Indian snacks. Medu vada is one of those. It is easy to make you can serve it as a meal with sambhar and chutney or just anytime snack only with chutney.It’s a kid’s friendly snack.
For Medu vada (4 servings)
Urad dal - 1.5 cups
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder - 1 pinch
Freshly ground black pepper - 1tsp
Green chilies - 2
Curry leaves -8
Cooking oil to frySalt as per taste
- Wash Urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 6-7 hours.
- Grind soaked dal with green chilies in fine paste using very little water. Add asafoetida powder, cumin seeds, black pepper and salt to the paste.
- Mix the batter for few minutes. It will incorporate some air to the batter and make it light.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the vadas.
- Apply some oil to your palm and take some batter on it. Shape it round and make a hole in the center with your finger. It takes some practice to make the shape.
- Deep fry the doughnut shaped vadas in oil. It should be golden and crispy.
Serving Suggestions:Serve hot with green chutney or coconut chutney for snack and with sambhar/chutney for meal.