Namkeen Karele [Savory snack]
This attractive treat tastes as good as it looks. It is flaky, crunchy and super delicious. I bet not only kids, grown-ups get tempted to grab some of them. I have learned this recipe from my mother-in-law few years back. Since then, I try making them during festivities.
For 50 pieces approx.
All purpose flour (maida) - 1.5 cups
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ajwain – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Water (enough to make firm dough)
Cooking oil to fry
- Combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, vegetable oil and salt.
- Mix together well and add water very slowly to make dough. Knead well to make it a little firm dough (puri kind).
- Keep the dough aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Take a small ball out of this dough and roll a small puri.
- Cut it vertically, but take care not to cut all the way. Do not separate the cuttings.
- Slowly roll the slit puri and gently twist both the sides to give it a karela shape.
- Repeat the above process to make all the karelas.
- Fry them carefully in medium hot oil.
Serve them any time with tea of coffee.