Uttapam is one of the great tasting South Indian snack or breakfast. It has many different versions but Onion-Green Chili is one of my all time favorite. Instead of onion-chili, you can add any fresh vegetable of your choice .
For Onion-Green Chili Uttapam [6 uttapams approx.]
Idli / Dosa Batter – 2 cups [ Ihave used Idli batter ]
Sweet Onions – 1 cup finely chopped
Green Chilies - 3-4 chopped
Cilantro -1/3 cup chopped
Cooking oil for shallow frying
Salt as per taste
- Heat griddle or tawa. Take one ladle of Idli batter and pour in the middle of the griddle.
- Spread the batter as pancake and add one teaspoon of oil along the edges.
- On the top spread chopped onions, green chillies and chopped cilantro evenly. Let it cook on the medium flame for a minute and then cover the uttapam with a lid. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add few drops of oil on top of onion and chillies.
- Gently flip the uttapam to the other side and cook for couple of minutes.
- Uttapam is ready when it is golden brown in color.