Palak paneer is a well known north Indian dish served in almost all Indian restaurants. It is flavorful and super healthy. Home cooked palak paneer is as good as we can get in a restaurant. Sharing with you the simple recipe to make it at home.
For Palak Paneer: [6 servings]Palak [Spinach] – 2 lbs (fresh)
Paneer [Indian cottage cheese]- 1 lbs
Onion -1 cup chopped finely
Tomato-1 cup chopped finely
Fresh chopped Garlic -1/2 tbsp
Fresh chopped Ginger -1/2 tbsp
Green chilies- 1tsp finely chopped
Cilantro -1/4 cup finely chopped
Heavy cream – ½ cup [optional]
Olive oil -2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds -1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) powder -1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Everest Kitchen king masala-1/2 tsp(for extra flavor)
Kasoori methi [Dried fenugreek leaves] – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash Spinach thoroughly in cold water. Boil the washed spinach using very little water or pressure cook it. Gently blend the cooked spinach with hand blender and keep aside.
- Cut paneer into 1 inch thick, long strips. Shallow fry the paneer pieces using 1 tbsp olive oil till it turns golden. Drain on the paper towel and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add asafoetida powder. Then add chopped onions and sauté it, till it turns translucent and light golden. Add chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger to it. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and let it sit for further 5 minutes.
- Finally add palak puree to the above masala and mix well. Also add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix it all together and sauté it for 8-10 minutes. When you see the palak paneer is little thick in consistency, it is almost done.
- Add fried paneer pieces, kitchen king masala and kasoori methi. If you like it creamy, add heavy cream to the finished palak paneer and mix gently.