For 1 Banana nut loaf:
For 1 Banana nut loaf:
- Whole wheat flour - 1.25 cups (You can substitute with All purpose flour for traditional recipe)
- Chopped walnuts - 1/4 cup
- Chopped pecans - 1/4 cup
- Ripe bananas - 3 mashed
- Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup melted
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Flax seeds powder - 2 tbsp (egg substitute)
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 cup
- Brown sugar - 2 tbsp for sprinkling on the top
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
Nutritional Facts of flax seeds:Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids (table). Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women. Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast and prostate cancers. A study done at Duke university suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors, although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive. Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels. There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage. Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content, and may have adverse effects due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immunosuppressive cyclic nonapeptides.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease a non stick loaf pan with some butter. Keep aside.
- Prepare flax paste, i.e. 2 tbsp flax seed flour + 6 tbsp water, mix well.[Flax seed flour works as egg substitute]
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking soda.
- Now add, chopped walnuts, pecans, mashed bananas, butter, Flax seed powder dissolved in water, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the pre greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp brown sugar on the top. It gives beautiful brown color and crunch to the bread.
- Put the pan in the oven for 45 minutes or an hour. Insert a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, banana nut bread is done.
- Take it out of the oven, cool it completely and then slice it.
Serve banana nut bread slice with vanilla ice-cream or a cup of coffee.