Happy Independence Day!
Mutter ki Kachori (Green peas stuffed snack)
Kachori is one of the most common western Indian snacks. This recipe has green peas as main ingredient for filling. It is great on its own with tea/coffee and even tastes better as assembled chaat.
For Kachori shell:
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 2 cups
- Melted butter or ghee - 2 tbsp
- Water (enough to make firm dough)
- Cooking oil to fry
- Salt as per taste
- Green peas - 3 cups (fresh or frozen)
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Green chilies - 2
- Shredded coconut (fresh or dry) - 1/2 cup
- Cumin Seeds (Jira) - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Amchur powder - 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
To prepare filling:
- In the microwave, cook green peas with very little water for 6 minutes, keeping it covered.
- In the food processor, grind these green peas coarsely with green chilies.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil. Add cumin seeds. When it starts splattering add ginger garlic paste to it. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add green peas mixture and shredded coconut to it. Mix well. On medium low heat let it sit for 10-15 minutes. For fresh coconut it takes longer.
- Once the mixture is all dried up, add amchur powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool completely before filling in the kachories.
- Combine all purpose flour, butter or ghee and salt. Mix evenly. Now add little by little water to make flaky dough.
- Knead well to make it firm dough.
- Keep the dough aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Take small ball size dough. Roll it into small circles. Place 1 tbsp of prepared filling in the centre and bring the edges together. Make an even ball; flatten it a bit by pressing your thumb in the center gently.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the Kachoris. Oil should be medium hot.
- Deep fry kachoris very slowly till it is crisp and golden on both the sides.
- Drain it on paper towel and let it cool down. Store it in an air tight container.
Assemble Mutter ki kachori as chaat. Place 2 kachoris on a serving plate. Garnish it with sweet tamarind-date chutney, green chutney and spiced yogurt. Also add chopped red onion, namkeen sev and chopped cilantro.
Mutter ki kachori is ready to be served.
Indian flag image source: http://perfecthdwallpapers.blogspot.com/2011/08/indian-flag-wallpapers.html